Sunday, March 11, 2012

Spring is in the Air

Time changed this morning, but rather than enjoy the additional daylight, we spent most of the day occupying ourselves with rainy day activities.  (My husband played on his Xbox while I painted pottery, and we re-watched season 1 of Game of Thrones.) 

Due to the crummy weather typical to early March in the Midwest, I decided to pull out our trusty crock pot and make homemade chicken noodle soup.  I realize now that I was spoiled growing up because my mom has almost always made her noodles from scratch.  I’m too lazy to do all of that (and we don’t have the counter space to lay noodles out to dry all day).  But who says chicken noodle soup can’t be “homemade with help” as well?  I promise that if you make this recipe even once, you’ll never eat canned soup again!

Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup

*1 pkg. chicken breasts, thawed and cubed
*4 carrots, cleaned, peeled, and sliced
*2 celery stalks, cleaned and sliced
*4 cups (32 oz.) chicken broth or stock
*2 chicken bouillon cubes
*½ pkg. Mrs. Miller’s Homemade Old Fashioned Egg Noodles (preferably in kluski)
*Minced onion flakes, parsley, and salt & pepper to taste
*⅓ stick butter, optional

Pour chicken broth and bouillon into a large crock pot and turn to high.
Clean and prepare vegetables and add to the pot along with spices.
Cut up chicken and add to the pot before covering.
Leave for 4 hours.
When you are approx. 20 minutes from serving, add noodles, and make sure they are well submerged.
Allow noodles 20 mins. to cook down, then serve your soup with grilled cheese, buttered crackers, or oyster crackers.  (I prefer the buttered crackers.)
You should wind up with something that looks like this:
Chances are we will be eating this meal for a few days because it makes about 6 adult-size servings.  My only complaint is that I have to store it in multiple containers because the gallon-sized ice cream container I kept for this exact purpose was used to mix grout for our bathroom remodel… so I guess I’ll have to invest in a new storage container.
All I know is that I’m looking forward to a week of predicted temperatures in the mid to upper 70s, and I’m looking forward to the season 2 premier of Game of Thrones!  Only 21 days!!!

Image courtesy of http://winteriscoming.net/

No comments:

Post a Comment